Written by Rachel Eyre
Wife to Willie Eyre

What happened on our trip home was not something I had planned for. It was not something that I had even considered. And I am here to tell you that the roar I thought this strong, independent woman would let out, was nothing more than a meow. Or a burp. I certainly couldn't have done this without the help of my mom!

My mom flew out and met me in Memphis, after I drove the 6+ hours with the kids there. I had researched hotels and read reviews and decided on a good one... or so I thought. I got the kids out of the car with our 500 pieces of luggage.

The first sign should have been the smell in the hotel room. It smelled moldy. And gross. But after driving all of that way and carting the luggage in with the little ones, I knew I just had to make it work. I mean, seriously, how bad could it be?

My mom arrived late, around 11:30-12 from the airport. We slept. And when we went to load up the car at 6:30 a.m. this is what we found:

The window had been smashed and the car had been searched through. The GPS was gone, as was my phone charger. It was annoying, to say the least.

My embroidery machine was in the back of the car, as was the DVD player. They weren't touched, Praise The Lord!
I also had accidentally left the keys to the Uhaul trailer in the front and they didn't find those.
{Thank goodness!}
And of course, it was a Sunday morning, when no one was in the shops to fix a window.

Our choices were to:
a) Stay overnight at the moldy hotel, without a window, allowing the burglars to just pick what they wanted.
b) Drive with a taped up bag over the window-hole.

We chose the latter.

My mom did a great job in taping this up! We drove 4-5 hours on Sunday, screaming at each other over the noise of the bag. On Monday morning, the closest shop with hours perfect for us was another 5 hours away. So, we did it again. And the window is fixed. The new GPS has been purchased, as has the new phone charger.

Life is back to normal. Or normal, for us!

Leave a Reply